Sunday, February 21, 2010

VS Shop Management

Now I am manageing a small bookstore in a women's university. It is not my main job, and my main job is still to sell books to libraries and scholars, but I am enjoying the new job.
For the previous manager quited the job recently, my boss ordered me to replace it.

The store is very small. From the viewpoint of business, the store can't make a big business. But the store is important for the unversity students, because they have to buy many textbooks there. The store is mostly only for their textbooks.
Actually, if we can't sell their textbooks there, the store have to close soon.

The revenue of the store is mostly earned when the new educationl year, April in Japan, starts. Because the most texbooks are bought then.
So, for business, it is reasonable to open the store only in April. But, of course, it's impossible. If we do it, the university will kick us out soon.

In the bookstore, we sell not only books but also many other goods; snakcs, stationeries, women's stockings and so on. Recently a cosmetic maker visited me offering their goods and supplemets.
Because I don't know whether their goods are good or bad, I am asking some young female coworkers for their opinions now.

Before the job starts, I thought it is an annoying one. But, for everything is new for me, I seem to enjoy it. I will try to understand my customers (young female students) completely.

2 comments:

Lance said...

Akio, this sounds like a great opportunity for you. I think if you take that salesman background and put it towards your new customers you will succeed.

I know when I was in college I would often spend time in my universities bookstore throughout the year. They had a wide variety of books related to hobbies. I went to school in Montana which is famous for fly fishing. They had a good variety of books relating to fly fishing and other mountain sports.

I think university aged students have a thirst for knowledge and you can help them fill that thirst. You can even help influence, mold, and improve the person they will become with the products you have in store. That as well as having pencil led is important.

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

Hey Lance, thank you for your great advice.
Now I am busy for preparing for many textbooks to be used from April.
Now I am thinking, if possible in the future, I wanna hire students for the small bookstore's job. I think it is a good experience for them, and it's good for me to understand the student's needs.