Wednesday, July 19, 2006

VS HO CHI MINH (2)

If you go to Viet Nam, you will find out soon a lot of moterbikes on the road. Moterbike is the most popular for Vietnamese traffic. Even though the economy of Viet Nam is growing, car is still expensive for the people to buy. And, the railway is not constructed enough. We can't use it for our moving. So, many people use moterbikes.

Watching Vietnamese driving, I thought I couldn't ride a bike there. For me, their driving looked crazy. Nobody looked to care for the traffic rule. The distance between bikes are short. They change the lane suddenly and rapidly, without no sign. At the intersection, all bikes from all directions are keeping moving. I can't understand why traffic accidents don't happen more there.

I remembered the crazy car drivers in Shanghai.
Their driving was also crazy when I went to China last year. Now Chinese is importing and making a lot of cars. We can see varieties of cars there. Maybe for Chinese living in a city, a car is not a special thing now. However, their understanding of the rule or manner related to a car life is not enough at all. I can say simply their drinving is very selfish.
So are Vietnamese driving. It may take more time for them to sophisticate their culture on the road.

It was unfortune that I couldn't go to many historical places in Viet nam in this trip. I didn't have enough time to visit many places.
But, I heard that the bar I went to with my business partners was a historical place. The bar name was Saigon Saigon Bar. It is in the seventh or eighth floor on a building. The place was used for many journalists during the Viet Nam War.
There are not many high buildings in Ho Chi Minh city even now. So, the view from the bar is good to look around the city. Many journalists stayed in the building, checked the situation in the city and reported the war to the world.
Thinking about the journalists' brave soul, I drunk a lot of whisky there. It was a great time.

My English teacher, Sudhan, asked me after my coming back to Japan, to say one word in order to express my image of Viet Nam. It was difficult to describe a country by one word, but I said "Peaceful".
I am not sure if I can get a correct image of Viet Nam by such a short stay. But I hope my image is fitted to the country which had suffered from a long war time.

No comments: