Tuesday, July 25, 2006

VS SINKING OF JAPAN

I watched a Japanese SF movie "Sinking of Japan", which is based on the original novel written by Sakyo Komatsu, 70 years old, who is a famous SF novelist in Japan.
The original story was written around 30 years ago, and soon became a millionseller.
In the story, Japanese faces the crisis of sinking of their country. The mantle dynamics under the soil of Japan couses a lot of earthquakes. And, the plate on which Japan stands slides into the sea. At last, the land of Japan sinks to the depth of the sea.
The novel is an authentic scientific fiction. The description is very realistic. When I read this novel in my school days, I enjoyed and was surprised very much.

That's why I was happy to hear of the movie, even though I had almost forgotten the story.
Compared with the novel, the moive is less realistic. Maybe because we can use our immagination in reading more than in watching a movie.
The movie was not a "hard" science fiction but a love romance.
It may lose the greatness of the original novel, but it might be good for the sales of the movie, because most people like a love story. In fact, when I went to a theater, a lot of people was there to watch the movie.

Now, the book about the story after the sinking is on sale in Japan.
It is the most important book for me to read in this summer.

No comments: