Thursday, December 29, 2005

VS Immigration

This is my last post in this year, which is now on the last corner, going to the ending. We want to delay the speed of finishing, but it is theoretically impossible. Only we can do is to make our brain work slowly, for feeling the time passing speed becomes slow. So, we always have a lot of drinking party in this month. Alcohol sometimes stops our time. It's miracle. But, of course, after we get up, we realise that time was certainly going forward.

From this year, the birth rate will became smaller than the death rate in Japan. Japanese population will strat to decrease. Japan will be an aged country rapidly. Japanese government and companies think about this situation seriously, but they don't have good solutions, though the government knew this problem 30 years ago.

The government started to support the bringing children up. The parents with kids can get small money from the government. I think this policy is good for some parents, but I am not sure this policy can solve the problem of decreasing population. I think that the choice which to have a child or not, is mostly based on our life style, not our economical condition. Who bears a baby to get money, in Japan? Another policy is to support a working woman with children. For example, the government support women( and men) to have a day-off easily to bring their children up. This policy could be helpful for women. But, I don't think Japanese population increases again by this policy. It is bigger trend for people not to have children.

I can't understand why Japanese government think more seriously about an immigrant policy. If we want to more population, it is the easiest way to invite here the people who want to come to Japan. There are many countries which population is still incresing. We can IMPORT the people to Japan.
While the lack of interest in an immigrant policy, Japanese government is very interested in making a bigger economical community in Asia with China, Korea, India, Australia and ASEAN.
I like this idea, but, for the success of the idea, we should understand the freedom of movability and stability is needed. It means that immigration must be more free in the community. So, I think Japanese policy is not consistent.

I know an immigrant policy is difficult. I was surprised that the riot of immigrant occured this year in France. I heard that the immigrant policy in France was most successful. But even France has a difficult problem.
However, I think it's impossible to survive in the future, for the country closed to outer people.
So are each person. Although we tend to be satisfied with keeping touch with familiar people only, it sometimes equals the lack of skill to communicate with different people. We must be open. Our country must be open.
"Be open" might be a pressure phrase for some Japanese. But, we should know that the person closed to others is also closed by others.

What kind of different others can I meet next year? I'm looking forward.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Happy New Year Akio! I hope your country can solve your population problem. it's difficult cause your country is an island. so it is hard for people to come in, unless they are great swimmers. what did you do for new years? a party?

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

Hey Mike, happy new year!
As you know, my hometown is Kyoto. Many many people come there to go to Sherine or Temple. I also went there. It was very crowded< so I was a little busy.
For new year, I had no party. I think new year is fitted to silence more. So, I was relaxed in my house then.
How about you? I know, you must have a lot of alcohol events!