Sunday, January 08, 2006

VS Shrine

I spent my new year holidays in my home town, Kyoto.
As many Japanese people do so, I ate Ozouni, a kind of stew, on the first morning in this year.
After that, I went to a shrine with my friend.

Going to Shrine sometimes becomes controversy, but It is a traditional work for a new year in Japan. Actually, for most people including me, it has not strong religious meaning. It is just for enjoying a new year's atomosphere.
Fortunately for me, there are a lot of shrines in Kyoto. So, I can go to some shrines easily. I went to the closest shrine from my house. The place was very crowded. I and my friend tried to reach the shrine, but we gave up soon. If we were more religious men, we couldn't gave up reaching it.

However, I donated a small money for the shrine later. The money was very very small, but my friend couldn't understand why I donated money, because I am not religious. My aim was only for preserveing a historical heritage. So, I paid 10 yen for the shrine.

Near the shrine, we drunk Ama-Sake. It is an old-style hot Sake, which is mede of Sake, suger, ginger and water. I tried it then for the first time. To be honest, the taste was shit! I couldn't finish a glass at that time. But, Ama-Sake is very popular in the place like Shrine, and many people drink it. I hope I can get fortune by drinking it.

This year, I can get 10 days holidays because I've worked for my company for 10 years.
It's a long time. I am surprised at it. This year's biggest mission for me is to use the holidays effeciently.

No comments: