Tuesday, January 10, 2006

VS Laffy Taffy

Laffy Taffy is a famous American candy.
(See: http://www.hometownfavorites.com/laffy-taffy.htm)
I got it as a suvenier from America by Lance. Before his going back to America during his holidays, I requested him to buy typical American sweets, which is very very sweet.

Laffy Taffy is not strongly sweet. But, once I eat it, it is difficult to stop it. Today, I'm enjoying it with "Mt.Fuji" whisky, which is very strong, 50% degree.
Laffy Taffy has some tastes. I love Banana taste. It's fitted to whisky very much.

American feels nostalgic to eat it? I, Japanese, can't. But, The taste is enough to remind me of my childhood. Maybe, the sweets like Laffy Taffy are not healthy. However, children don't usually take care of their health. So, unhealthy foods are the symbol of youth. When I look at the sparkring yellow colour of Banana taste Laffy Taffy, I can go back to my childhood days.

Two jokes are written on the package of Laffy Taffy.
They are Q&A style.

Q:WHAT IS A CAT'S FAVORITE COLOR?

A:"PURR-PLE."

Q:WHAT IS A BUNNY'S MOTTO?

A:"DON'T FROWN. BE HOPPY"

Q:WHAT DID THE NOODLES SAY TO THE BUTTER?

A:"DON'T TRY AND BUTTER ME UP."

Q:WHAT DO YOU CALL TWIN BROTHERS?

A:"A SUNSET."


Mmm, I can't get laughing points. They are jokes for kids.
My English level might not reach kid's level. I have to study more.

7 comments:

Lance said...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Laffy Taffy. It reminds me of a friend in college rather than my actual childood. My friend would buy large sized Laffy Taffy. Imagine about 10 of your size Taffies, Akio, in one bar!! It was quite large. My friend would buy it and then sit on it while driving. After five minutes or so the Taffy would become softer and easier to eat.

Please try to understand the jokes everyone! I will explain them in a few days if no understands the punch line(laughing point).

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

I got the point of the fourth joke. But, I haven't understood others yet. Now, I am thinking and thinking.

Lance said...

I can understand why these are diffifult.

Joke #1 "Purr" is the sound a cat makes when it's happy and rubbing up against your leg. "ごろ ごろ"

Joke #2 Rabbits hop, so "Don't Frown. Be Happy=>Hoppy"

Joke #3 "Butter me up" is a phrase that means saying nice things to get something. Kind of "ごり ごり"

Lance said...

Forgot to add:

Butter me up is often used as in "Don't butter me up, tell me what you want." So it's a kind of preparring someone for a question.

Mike said...

typing in japanese. damn! that's some good teaching mr. patskin. if only you could teach me the five point exploding heart technique. my defense would be impregnable.

Lance said...

Five point exploding heart technique... must go to China to learn that... maybe next vacation will be a mission to learn the five point exploding heart technique.

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

I mastered Joke #1,2 and 3. But, #4 is still difficult.
Ok, anyway, thank you for your American joke lesson, Lance.

Mike, why dou you want to get Five Point Pound Exploding Heart Technique? It's the most difficult and dangerous skill of killers!
If I can, of course I want to get it.
But, as Lance said, we have to go to China to get it first.
Today I visited a chinese language school. The name is HAO!