Wednesday, September 13, 2006

VS Reprinted books

Most people wouldn't be familier with reprited books, even if they like to read books. Every year, a lot of books are published, sold, bought, left over unsold, thrown away and at last to be out of print.
The existence of such books were once forgotten, and the time had passed, and then one day somebody found out these books on a shelf in a dark library. If the somebody is a publisher, he must think about the possibility of printing and selling it again.
That's why a lot of reprinted version of books are published every year too. One of the important jobs in my book-sales is to sell these reprinted books.

I knew an university (it's my customer) has a large number of rare books in their library. These books were preserved in a special room in the library. Most people in the university didn't know the existence of them. They had not been used and read by anybody except for a few librarians for a long time.
Luckily, I am a book-salesman. I could have a chance to go to the library many times, and enter the special room several times. One day, I heard that the people in the library have the desire to introduce their collection of rare books to the public. So, my company offered them the plan of these books' exhibition. They recieved our offer soon.
Next year, the library will have the book exhibition in my company's gallery in Shinjyuku. They will exhibit a lot of antique books and photos for Japan study. Most books were published in 19 centuries, and written by the foreigners visiting Japan.

Now, I am recommending the people in the university to publish these rare books. But, I and they know it is so difficult to sell such special books though easy to reprint. If the sales is bad, they have to hold a lot of stocks in their warehouse.
So, I am offering them to publish digital version of these books. I think it's a good idea because they can escape from the risk of stock. As Google is doing, the digitalization of books is a big trend now. The technology itself is not special. The most important thing I think is what is degitalized.
Now I am not sure whether they are interested in my offer.
But I think these books are worth read by many people. It's a good business chance for them, and for me.

No comments: