Sunday, January 14, 2007

VS Iwo Jima

Today I watched the movie "Letters from Iwo Jima" directed by Clint Eastwood. This movie is based on the battle between Japan and America on Iwo Jima island in World War II.
The island was located far from Japan, but important for both countries. Because, if American army got it, they could make a base from which they can attack cities in Japan easily. That's why Japanese army must have defended the island.
But it was an impossible mission. Before the battle on the island happened, Japanese navy to protect it got a deadly damage at other battles. So, the army on the island was isolated, and they could only wait for their enemy coming.

The result of the battle was easily predicted by anyone. The military power of America was huge. On the other hand, the one of Japan was very small.
But Japanese army didn't give up. To be more correct, they were not allowed to give up. They have to fight to death.

In this movie, the letters between soliders and their family are sometimes referenced. In the crazy battle field, only the letters remind soliders of their daily normal life. But, once the battle starts, they become crazy again.

From the middle of the movie, I had the feeling of going out of a theater. One reason was because it was sad to watch a lot of crazy and miserable Japanese soliders. Another reason was because I was very hungry. This movie is long, 2 hours and 40 minutes, but I forgot to eat lunch before watching it.
I forgot that it's important to control our physical condition when watching movies.

Unfortunately this movie doesn't have English subtitles. I don't know why? I think not only Japanese but also foreigners living in Japan have the interest in the movie.
I add that a young acter Ninomiya is nice.

2 comments:

Mike said...

let's go to australia! please send me an airplane ticket and i'll meet you there.

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

Hey Mike, Happy new year.
I will send you my hand-made flight ticket to Australia. Let's enjoy surfing tgether there!