Tuesday, February 13, 2007

VS Harbord Beach

No, no, Mike. My dreaming was reality. Surely, indeed, at last, I stood on the soil of Australia again. It was the summer I dreamed of.

I had stayed in Sydney for just three days. This time, my trip was very short, but it was still ok for me to escape from winter for a while. I enjoyed the trip very much.
Ont the first day when I arrived at Sydney airport, I and Peter went to Harbord Beach soon. The reason was, of course, because we had to surf there. As I wrote it before in this blog, the beach is a memorial place, because the first surfer in Australia did surf on the beach. As an representative amature surfer from Japan, I had to respect the beach, so I tried surfing there.

It was cloudy on the day, but the sunshine was still strong. The waves were big and powerful.
It was Saturday's daytime. Many people were there. But, compared with Enoshima beach in Japan, Harbord Beach was not crowded at all. People were enojoying swimming, surfing or banana boating.

When I watch the waves at first, I thought it was easy to catch it. Because basically weak waves are more difficuly to catch, and I am familier with it on Eoshima beach.
But I thought wrong. Actually it was very taugh to surf there.
For me, the pattern of size-up of waves was irregular and random. Besides that, everywhere on the sea was waving. There were no flat space and time. That's why it was difficult to keep my balance. The waves wouldn't give me the enough waiting-time, and, without enough prepareation, I had to try the waves. If I had more skill and experience against such a condition, I could control myself well. However, I didn't have them. Even for Ausiee, the beach seemed to be uneasy for surfing. So, it was understandable for me to have the difficulty of surfing there.
Although my performance was not good at the time, I could say that I enjoyed my first surfing oversea very well.

I used Peter's surfboard, which was made by Manly Long Board Co. It was a local company in Manly.
The surfboard was cool. It was 9.2 feet long. The body was thin but strong, because it was made of a hard but light materials. Its float was strong, thus it makes us stand up on it easily.
At my best ride on the day, at the moment, I felt I was flying, not surfing. The strong wave was combined with the strong floating power of the surfboard, to make the feeling.
It is the most excellent moment when we surf.
It was lucky for me to get it at this time.

I will write about my first game of cricket I watched in my life on the next post.

No comments: