Sunday, May 27, 2007

VS Golden Town

There is an area called Golden Town in Kabuki-cho 1 chome, Shinjyuku. The town is the area for drinking people. I went there last week.
There are over 150 bars in the area. All bars are very small. The average size is about 10 square meters. Each ones have 7 or 8 sheets only. They look very private places.

Golden Town has a long history. After the world war II, the area became a black market governed by Yakuza, Japanese mafia. But, some people started bars around there, and they became popular. And, soon the number of bars incresed very much. Then the area became the biggest drinking area in Tokyo.

A lot of novelists, journalists, poets, publishers, social activists and artists loved the area's atomosphere. So, the area became not only a drinking spot but also a kind of cultural place. I think, my company made the biggest bookstore then in Shinjyuku, for the area's cultural power. Actually the first president of Kinokuniya was a famous regular customer in Golden Town.

I went to a bar managed by a middle-age lady. I heard from others that she was an actress of pink movies. Without asking for my order, she searved soon whisky with water for me. And, without asking, she searved a small vegetable food for me. Perhaps, it is not cool there to order something there. Only I could do was to follow her searve.
When I and my colleagues drunk there, a drama directer came. He seemed to be a regular customer. I gave him my seat to him because I was a visiter. The local has priority. It's a sufer's rule, so I used the rule in the bar at the time.

Basically Golden Town is an old-fashioned place. So, it is for old men. But, recently, young people seem to start to work there. The nostalgic and unique atomosphere would give any impressions to them.

No comments: