Monday, February 11, 2008

VS J-SHINE

J-SHINE is the lisence name for which we can teach English in elementary schools in Japan. English is going to be the subject all elemetary students must study in 2011. Some schools will start it earlier from this year. To be correct, some school has already started it since before. The important point is that English will be regarded as an official subject soom. To get the license, I participated in two-days lecture arranged by Aeon last Saturday and Sunday.

The lecture was held in a gorgeous meeting space, BELLE SALLE Kanda. 420 people from all over the eastern Japan joined it. I thouht the lecture don't have to be held in such a gorgeous place like a hotel, but Aeon sometimes has the tendency to make them look rich. The lecture started with the opening speech by the President Miyake, who looks suspicious but happy. Maybe he has no stress.

We listened to many teacher's speeches, and sometimes tried to do the class room activities( Games, Songs, Dances etc.) Like an elementary school student, I slept while I listened to a boring talk, and I waked up when interesting activities started. I could konw what a successful class is.

I am not sure that I will teach English in an elementary school as my job in the future. Because the salary is very low. Although it depends on a school, the case in Yokohama is 2000 yen (= about $19) a day (a day!). So, J-SHINE license is not for living-earning at this moment. We can see it the lisence for a kind of volunteer.
Ya, I don't dislike volunteer, so the teaching English in an elementary school might be good for the contribution to our society.

Everytime I join this kind of lecture, most participants are women. This time, maybe 95% was women. Why don't men have the interest in such things?

1 comment:

Mike said...

I think you will have a great time studying elementary school teaching. Elementary school teachers must be very fun and exciting people in order to entertain the children. So they are most likely fun to socialize with because they have great social skills. Enjoy!