Tuesday, December 23, 2008

VS Year End

It's the peak of year end parties now in Japan. Shibuya on last weekend was filled with more people. I had a year end party with my coworkers in a crowded restaurant. 20 people shared a table for 15. The unmovable condition could make our relationship tight. It was a good party.
This month, I have many year end parties. Although I don't arrange the parties, many people ask me to have a drink to celebrate the end of this year.
Why do we celebrate it so much?
To be correct, we don't celebrate. We try to forget it.
Year end party is "Bounenkai" in Japanese. The meaning is the gathering for forgetting the year.

I got a Christmas card recently. It says "Merry Christmas, and a happy new year." For the west, The end of this year and the beginning of that new year are seamless. But, for Japanese, it is important to decide the end, to forget the past.
After the Christmas day, we try to clean up everything about Christmas, and prepare for the coming new year. Christmas tree in a town has gone to somewhere. We might look to try to forget the existence of the Christmas.

For Christmas party, this year's party in Aeon was held in the school. It was a nice idea. In this season, all restaurant are crowded and noizy. If we don't refuse to clean up the room after the party, the school is the good place to have a party.
Aeon staff prepared for foods, and we brougt the drinks by ourselves.
I think we had better bring something we can share, for example the bottle of wine, in this kind of party. But, many brought the drinks for themselves. It was okey, but we had better a little know what the party is for.

Back to year end parties, I don't have anything I have to forget. Maybe because this year was the good one for me. Or, everyday's day end parties make me forget everything? I hope it's not true.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I love holiday parties. I hope you had a great holiday!

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

Mike, you, too. Have a great new year!

Mike said...

Thanks! I did have a great new year celebration with some friends here in Washington DC. Now we are waiting for the inauguration of our new president. Good Times! Often though, in the cold weather, I think of my times in Japan. And eating oden and drinking a beer with some good friends. and my heart warms against the cold winter, always. Happy New Year!!!!