Sunday, August 21, 2005

VS Okayama

Okayama prefecture is in western Japan.
I went there to see my old friend Scott recently.

Okayama is a typical rural area. So, it is not usual to go there for sight-seeing.
Actually, we can go to Hiroshima or Osaka within a hour from there. These places are more popular for sight-seeing.
However, Okayama also has good places to see.

BIKAN area is one of them.
BIKAN means "beautiful view". The area has many old houses and architectres, preserved by the government. They were bulit in Edo period or early Meiji period, about 150-300 years ago.
They are preserved vell well, and now used for souvenir shops or restaurants.
Ohara art museum, which is famous, is in BIKAN area. I am not good at art, so I can't write about the art museum well, but it is certain that Mr. Ohara made the museum. What is Mr.Ohara? I don't know. But, it is certain that he made the museum. He made a good job.

Seto Ohashi bridge connects Okayama pref. to Kagawa pref.
This bridge is beautiful and very long, over 10 km. It is one of the longest bridge in the world.
We went to a port near the bridge, to join a ferry cruising. We can watch the bridge closer on the sea. It is more exciting to watch it, than to drive on it.
However,the most exciting thing happened in our cruising.
Our boat was old, and suddenly had an engine trouble on the sea, and made a fire and smoke!
We were very surprised. The room in the ferry started to filled with CO. Some passangers were a little in a panic.
Scott enjoyed the situation, and took many photos. He is too brave.
I sat down on a seat, and checked a life-saving goods under the seat, and noticed that the goods was as old as the ferry, and then, was depressed.
Fortunately, other ship come to us soon, and we were helped.
I got an unforgettable event in this Okayama trip.

One more information about Okayama.
It is famous for the origine of Momotaro-story, which is an old fairy tale in Japan.
This story is very interesting. A boy born in a fruit, controlled a few animals, and killed many devils.
In this story, the key point is to controll a few animals. The boy use a good item for it, which is a sweet, Kibidango.
I forgot to eat the sweet in this trip. So,I have to check the miracle power in next time.

2 comments:

sacchan said...

Hello.
It was lucky for you that you were not drowned at sea.
I planed a trip to Okayama area. I am the organizer of the trip. But friends of mine who are going to the trip with me are selfish. They said
"It's too expensive." "I'm busy now." "I can't go on urgent business."
The plan was perfect. But it was delayed at their convenience.
The place names where I wanted to go are written in your essay.
So I'd like to leave a comment.
Did you go to the Kibitsu shrine? I heard that there is one of the most famous fortune- tellers in Japan. The fortune- teller who is a strange old woman is in the shrine and tells a person's fortune by the sound of big caldron. I heard it is classical way for fortune telling. It is really interesting, isn't it?
And in the ground of the shrine, a head of an ogre has been buried since Momotaro carried back it from the island of ogres. As you know, he is famous as a hero who killed the ogres there.
Okayama area is a place soaked with mystery. I envy you. I'd like to go there!

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

Maybe for a trip, no plan is the best plan. Because everything can be mysterious. You can go with your friends, without any plan!