Saturday, August 27, 2005

VS Pay Bath

My friend in China started a new hobby, to rid himself of job stress.
The new hobby is Drinking! Gash! He hated to drink in Japan. But not in Shanghai.
Maybe Chinese alcohol has a magical power.

Another story in Okayama.
I found a pay bath (or a public bath) there.
Now, a pay bath is not popular in Japan. It is differnt from hot springs. It is only boild water.
So, when I found it in Okayama, I wanted to go there.
My friend Scott hadn't experienced it. So, we tryed it.

A pay bath has two entrances; for men and for women. We have to pay money at the entrance, where a staff is sitting on a seat in a box. Now I call the seat in a box "neutral zone".
From the neutral zone, the staff can check both men's bath and women's bath.
The position of the staff is absolute.
If the staff is a man, most women would feel uncomfortable. But they can't complain about it. Because he is neutral and absolute.

When I went there with Scott, a woman is sitting in the neutral zone.
I felt a little uncomfortable, but soon I accepted it. Because the woman was old.
Japanese has three sex categories; Man, Woman and The Old.
Only the old can sit in the neutral zone.
I and Scott enjoyed the pay bath.

It is traditional to drink coffee and milk after a bath.
But the pay bath didn't have it, so we missed it.
I wanna try it next time.

I guess 80% of Japanese want to get the neutral zone job, but it's very difficult.
The job deserves to be a goal of our life.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Wow Akio. This is great job. I think I can make such a job for me when I become old man. I will return to Japan and be first gaijin Neutral Zone Observer. it is my destiny, maybe.

I am amazed our friend enjoys drinking now. That is great for him. It is a new adventure. We must always have some new adventures. First his adventure, was not drinking, I think he really enjoyed such a life. But maybe he became tired of this and now he can enjoy the drinking life! Yes! I wish I was in Asia so me and you could take him to many shochu bars and experience such wonderous things in the drinking life. ahhh! Life is great. We can have so many journeys in so short a time. Vaya con Dios adventurer! Enjoy drinking land! Enjoy great sake spirit! Enjoy Asian style drinking technique! It is greatest! Ganbatte!

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

Now he is sometimes enjoying Gin & Tonic.
When we drink it, we usually use Grodon, aren't we? Cheap Gin is enough for it, but he uses Bombay Sapphire. It's more expensive!
But, as you know, the price in China is toooooooo cheap, so he doesn't care for the price! Gash!

Lance said...

I too am amazed by this friend's sudden change in philosophy. He told me that "I am more talkative when I drink." Is that necessary for this friend to be more chatty? I don't think so. Our friend sounds as if he if finally becoming an adult and realizing the pleasures in life are more than just what can be heard through headphones.