Wednesday, October 18, 2006

VS Turkey

When I checked my blog, I found I wrote 99 articles here, and this article becomes No.100. It is not a surprising thing because some people are writing more. But certainly it must be a memorial one for myself.
In this memorial article, I want to write something memorial. Have I? Yes. I had something memorial last weekend.

It might be the sign of the memorial thing coming. Last week, Orhan Pamuk, a famous turkish novelist, got Novel prize of literature. When I got the news, soon I took the list of his works and tried to sell them to my customers. "He made it! Buy for him!" Any prize can be a business chance for booksales. Of course, the effect of Novel prize is best of best.
Some Japanese novel lovers expected Haruki Murakami to get the prize this time, but he couldn't. However, we can use the fact that he failed to get the prize. I tried to sell Haruki's books too. "He lost! Buy for him!"

Who is Orhan Pamuk?
I want to cite an introduction of him.
"who in the quest for the melancholic soul of his native city has discovered new symbols for the clash and interlacing of cultures"

I've never been to Turkey. I don't know about Turkey at all. But, for a long time, the country has existed in the center of my interest. Why? I don't know the exact reason. Maybe I am interested in their exotic atomosphere. (And, the exotic women.) So, I had a desire to see Turkish for a long time.

Back to my something memorial.
At last, my desire was achieved last weekend.
The last weekend, after English discussion class (The topic was about Japanese emperor system and the new-born baby.), after buying a photo book of an American gravure model (She is a half of French and Philipina.), after eating Ramen (Yokohama style), after surfing (Good size wave effected by typhoon), I went to Takadanobaba in Tokyo, in order to listen to a rock band.
The band was three players; British man(vocal & guiter), Japanese girl(drums) and Turkish lady(vocal & bass).
Needless to say, my aim was to see the turkish lady.

To be honest, I would have fallen in love with her in a second after seeing her, unless I heared that she has a boy friend, the british guiterist. Fortunately, love affair is not my business. So, I could contact her as a gentleman.
I enjoyed the conversation with her. I could know about Turkey from her. It was nice.
However, now I think she was diffrent from my imaginary Turkish. It has no bad meaning at all. What I want to say is that I could see real Turkish. Before meeting her, my image of Turkish was both extremely passional and extremely polite. (I'm not sure where this image came from.) I can say I met an ordinary person like me then.

This memorial contact with the Turkish woman I met first in my life is making me being more interested in the country more and more. Now I am reading a cheap tour guide to Turkey. Someday I will visit there. By Turkish, I am seen the same as their imaginary Japanese?

7 comments:

Lance said...

You made it to the big 100. Nice work. I'm happy that you were able to enjoy a fantastic Turkish experience. She offered to cook us some Turkish food, I say we take her up on her offer!!!

Lance said...

And to Patrick, you're still a star in Hon Atsugi.

Lance said...

TURKISH LINK

http://www.myspace.com/hertztheturks

Mike said...

hi akio.
i always enjoy reading your blog. it makes my work day enjoyable and tolerable. turkish food is excellent. my friend's mom is turkish and she cooked us many many meals, DELECTABLE. is the best word for her cooking. keep up the writing good sir, and i will keep up the commenting. TALLYHO!

Mike said...

Lance,
Does Pat have a fan club in HOn Atsugi? who is the captain of the Pchu express?

Lance said...

Mike,

There's no official fan club, but his name always comes up and his control of the kareoke box is always missed.

Lance said...

Akio,

It's time for a new blog!!!