Saturday, December 09, 2006

VS Two Cultures

Kyusyu seems to become my hometown-like area in Japan. Last weekend, I went there again to celebrate my friend Kousei's wedding. On the day before his wedding party, I had a drink with my friends, Unchained Dogs Four, in Fukuoka. And, the next day, I went to Nagasaki, the city for the wedding party, with a dull headache.

I heard from an old song that Nagasaki is rainy everyday, but it was fine on the wedding day. I think I had visited Nagasaki in my childhood. But now I don't have any memory of the visit, so when I reached there this time, it was the same as the first visit.

Nagasaki has the sea. The view of the sea is very beautiful.
On the other hand, the view "from" sea is nice too.
The land of Nagasaki is almost a mountain. On the mountain, a lot of houses and buildings are built. So, at night time, the night view from the sea-side to the mountain-side is very beautiful.

The wedding party was a kind of mixture of two cultures.
The groom is from Aomori prefecture. It is located in the north-east of Japan. It's cold in winter. By the effect of the climate character, the people is silent and patient. The groom is not actually silent, though.
The bride is from Nagasaki prefecture in Kyusyu, which is located in the south-west. It's a warm area. The people is basically aggressive. In addition, Nagasaki has a historical character. It was only one place where Japanese people can contact with foreigners during Edo period, 150-400 years ago. So, the life style of Nagasaki people is multi-cultural.

The groom and bride came into the party room with the music of Tsugaru-Shamisen, which is an old musical equipment in the north-west. The music was uncommen in a wedding party, but it was fitted to them at the time.
Wedding party always starts with a short( sometimes unfortunately long) speech by a guest, and a call of "Cheers!" by another guest.
However, this time, we started with "soup drinking".
It is Nagasaki culture to celebrate people.
Although Japan is small, I have a lot of cultures I don't know. I could enjoy new things in the party.

Once the party started, all I should do is to drink, drink, drink, sometimes pour beer for others, drink again, drink, drink and drink.
The quantity of my drink is proportional to the extent of the happiness I shared with the groom and bride.
That's why, I was heavily drunk at the night. I can't remember when I went back to my hotel?

No comments: