Sunday, March 04, 2007

VS Foreign Settlement

It was strange that I took part in an academic workshop by chance last week. It was the gathering of scholars to study foreign settlements in Asia.
There were a lot of foreign settlements in Asia including Japan. Three big settlements in Japan were Yokohama, Kobe and Nagasaki.
But, the workshop's interest was not for the study foreign settlements in Japan but for the study of Japanese settlement in Asia, especially in China.
Some particepants are studying it from the view point of China-Japan relationship. Some are interested in it as the case-study of the company management in foreign countries. And, some focus on the culture in the settlements.
Each person had their own interest in the workshop.
When it comes to me, my interset was, needless to say, book-sales. This study is very young. Many books and documents will be published in the future. That's why I joined the workshop, even though I didn't have any knowledge for it. I thought I could get the hint for my business there.

For the people who study foreign settlements in China, Shanghai is a special city. It was the city which had foreign settlements most then. Therefore, Shanghai became very international. And, now a huge amount of documents for the settlements are preserved in Shanghai. So, it is the city easy to study.
In the workshop, it was said that Shanghai is focusd on too much for the easy-study condition, but other cities in China should be studied more. But, because I even didn't know that there were Japanese settlements in Shanghai, I thought the gap between professinals and ordinary people was big
. I think, most Japanese don't know at all where Japanese settlements were in China, except for Manchuria, the country made by Japanese government before the war and located in the northen China. Or, there is the possibility that even Manchuria is forgotten.
A chinese scholar joined the workshop, and he introduced us to some recent studies for foreign settlements in China. He spoke Chinese. He looked like a humorous man, and actually said a joke sometimes. Some participants laughed very much. I could understand it later by translation, but it was bad for me to lose the timing to laugh.
He told us for the universities in China.
From March 5th this year (Tomorrow), the university students in China are going to be oblidged to study official-history written by Chinese government. He studies history and he has his own opinion for history, which is diffrent from the official-history. But, he is oblidged to teach it to his students. He talked about it to us with smile. I couldn't judge at the time whether I should also simle, or not.

The study of history is sometimes difficult. I can be political. It can be emotional. Even in the scholar's workshop, some looked biased for me. But history could be like that.

No comments: