Tuesday, July 03, 2007

VS Translation

From the beginning of this year, I have tried to read a science book "Warped Passages" in English. But I don't finish reading it, and I almost give up reading it. It's too difficult for me. The theme of the book is the extra-dimension of space which is the newest theory in applied physics. I could understand the theory roughly in the book, but it's hard to read the descriptions for physics in English, for my lack of the knowledge and vocabulary of physics, which is the subject I hated in my high-school days.

However, it was very happy that this book was translated into Japanese at last. Because I heard that it might be impossible to translate the book into Japanese, I became excited when I knew the Japanese version. Of course, I ordered it soon. Now I'm waiting for the book coming.

Japanese is lucky. We have a very strong translation culture. Thet's why we can get new information soon, and understand even difficult knowledge easily. This translation culture can become obstraction of our English study, though. Anyway, once I will read it in Japanese, and next I will try it in English again.

From 5th in this month, the 14th Tokyo International Book Fair is going to be held. For book-sales business, it is one of some big events. The Book Fair gives Japanese and foreign publishing companies good business chances. The deal of the right to translate good books is the main topic. The coming last volume of HARRY POTTER must be the most expensive right.

No comments: