Saturday, November 22, 2008

VS Business Blog

Do you know the term, Business Blog?
It is the blog used for the communication in a company, which is becoming popular now. Blog itself has already been popular yet in our society. And now, people start to use it for their business.
I know the benefit of blog very well. It make me keep in touch with friends living far away easily. And, writing something in public makes my thinking clear. So, when I knew the existence of business blog system, soon I agreed with introducing it into my company. I thought it must be useful for our working, and interesting because we can know each other more.
However, I realised soon it is not welcome for everybody. Some dislike such a system. My boss is one of them.

Blog is the communication tool in public. Any communication becomes public even though the issue is private. Some bosses hate it, because they want to enclose what they say just in their division. Of course, comfidential things must be enclosed in the division. Private things is too. But, the things about everyday's job should be open to everybody, I think. Who makes the decision? How do I treat the matter? What is the result? They must be checked by others. However, some like to hide what they do. Such people don't like the system for open-communication.
When one of my bosses tried to stop the use of business blog, I wrote a long report for its benefit, to boss's boss. In addition, I advertised the blog to my coworkers everywhere in my company, in order to get my supporters. I don't like this kind of "political" action, but unfortunately I am good at it. My action workd very well.

However, it isn't the only one problem. The bigger problem exists.
There are many people who are not interested in others.
They don't care for other's job, other's remarks and others themselves.
They don't check blog. Of course, they don't wirte anything.
Even if the blig is useful for their job, they aren't interested in it.
I can't enforce them to use the blog. It's their working style. But, I can't understand what is interesting for them in their job if they can't be interested in the people working together.
I like to know what other sales-person is doing in Okinawa. I like to read what the person in a technical division is writing.

Although there are many resisters against open-communication, I am optimistic. I think a business blog system will change Japanese companies' culture. The book store based on the philosophy of freedom of expression have to change the company's culture at first.

No comments: