Saturday, October 10, 2009

VS Beer Brewing

I went to Ibaraki prefecture last week to brew my original beer with my friends. We visited Kiuchi brewery, which is originally an old Sake brewery, and now making much original beer. Nest beer is their brand.
It was our first challange to make beer, so we were so excited.
Although it took three hours to drive to the place, it was no problem for us.

The old brewery is located in a rural area in Ibaraki. It looks like an old Japanese warehouse. When we arrived there, their staff took us inside the brewery, and explained us how to brew beer.
Before making beer, we tasted some beer to decide what kind of beer we should make.
Ale? White beer? Staut?
After our discussion, we decided to make red ale.

We used five diffrent types of malts, and three diffrent types of hops.
The taste and aroma must be very rich!
During boiling them, we learned the difficulty of controlling its temparature. If we failed to control the temparature, we could kill the beer taste.
After the boiling, the mixture of malts, hops and water was going to be made cold soon. What we did the day was that's all!
After this, yeast is going to be put into it by the staff. We have to wait for around three weeks. Now we are waiting our beer coming.

At the end of this month, maybe at Halloween party, we will enjoy our new beer. Cheers!

2 comments:

Kuri said...

Is it OK to make your own beer in Japan?
In Australia, my friends & I made it all the time at my house.
We liked the maltier types like a dark ale.
Home made beer is very popular in Australia but this is the first time I have heard about it in Japan.
Anyway, I hope it tastes good!

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

Making beer is, unfortunately, illegal in Japan, if we don't pay tax. So, this time, I paid tax.

I am lloking forward to my beer coming in two weeks!