Tuesday, November 03, 2009

VS Journal Business

It's cold in Japan. The wind from the north is blewing today. I felt the early winter has come at last. I also knew the news of the first snow in Sapporo city in Hokkaido. But, this cold seems to be temporary. This week, it will become warm again.

Last month was a big month for my business. I finished some contracts of annual subscription of academic journals with my customers, mainly Japanese universities.
This business is becoming difficult for the decreasing budgets of the universities, and the digitalization of journals. Some digitalized journals can be read free on internet, and many digitalized journals can be bought directly from publishers by my customers; it means they don't need distributers, book-sales men.
Of course, the situation is not so simple. Even though many journals are digitalized now, many publishers and customers still want to use distributers. However, the rate of profit for this business is garadually decreasing. That's why some competers of mine are giving up the business.

I think I made a success of the business this year. Under the bad conditions, my sales grew up, and even the rate of profit raised too. The negotiation with my customers were taugh, and there were tha holidays that I couldn't enjoy other things because business didn't move from my brain. But, now I am satisfied with the sales result.

This month, I will consciously release my mind from business to many funs. Balance is important. I will beat tension to be relaxed.
That's why, last week's Halloween party was good for changing my mental mood. We enjoyed the party very much and after the first stage we stayed until fifth stages(it was the early morning.)the day. It was along night, but I didn't get tired.
And, I have some plans more; the travel with my friends to some old villages in Japan, Sushi dinner event with friends, joining Sepack Takrow tournament in Saitama, Karaoke party in a bar, etc. It might not be good to make many plans for relaxing, but my brain is familler with busy schadule. So, it's Ok.

2 comments:

Mike said...

sounds like you are still quite the social butterfly in Atsugi. Has you're company thought about online publishing? Or maintaining a website with access to online journals? Those would be interesting opportunities.

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

My company is thinking about both.
Compared with US publishing, Japanese one is on a lower level. I have many things to do!