Sunday, October 18, 2015

VS Taiwan

I went to Taiwan last week. It was my first visit of the country. The purpose of this visit was a business, but my personal concern was to know the difference between the main land and Taiwan. As old readers of this blog know, I have been to China some times. It made an image of Chinese people in my mind. Of course, Chinese are not only living in China. There are many types of Chinese. My business trip to Southeastern Asia countries last year was a very good chance for me to know their variety. And, this time, I had a good chance to go to the most closest Chinese speaking country.

Compared with the main land, Taiwan is more closer to Japan. It is not a geophysical meaning but a cultural meaning. Actually there are many people who can undersatnd Japanese. I could find many flyers and signs written in Japanese on the street. And more, I could use Japanese in my company's Taiwan office. I tried to use my instant-learning Chinese, but it was useless. Some colleague are good Japanese speakers and they are good translaters.
I think their personality is similar to Japanese. We Japanese tend to think Chinese are too aggressive, but I didn't have the image in Taiwan. On the opposite, I even thought they are too modest.

One night, I could have a drink with Taiwanese colleague. I heard from Japanese staff that it is rare in Taiwan to go to drink after five with colleague, especially without any special reason. But, luckily I was an foreigner there. I was supposed not to share the culture , so I truly and utterly had no hesitation to ask them for going somewhere with me. I am the man who respect other countries' culture, but the drinking-communication is the exception. I believe in the magical power of drinking. It makes our relationship closer, more creative and productive.
We could enjoy in Japanese style Izakaya restaurant very much. Especially, after I ordred a famous Sake, Dassai, our atmosphere was surprisingly heated up. I understood again that it is Japanese style good culture to pour Sake each other.It has the function to encourage us to drink more and more.

There are many more things to write down here , but I want to write this now. I thought I should study Chinese language. I always use English in my business. But, when working in Aian countries, we will listen to Chinese more or less. English plus Chinese must be needed for me. It's a taugh task, but this business trip motivated me to go to the world created by another language.

No comments: