Monday, July 18, 2005

VS Salsa

Rainy season has almost finished in Japan. Recently everyday, it is very hot.
Yesterday I went to a very hot event, which was good for hot days.
It was Tokyo Salsa Festival 2005.

The festival was 10th anniversary. It was held in Zepp Tokyo in Odaiba.
Many people came there. Maybe 2000-3000 people.
I didn't know that Salsa dance is so popular in Japan. The population of Salsa dancer in Japan must be bigger than that of Sepak Takrow player.

This was my first time to watch Salasa dancing. I watched many group's dance.
The dance was very energetic and passional. I didn't think that the dance was acrobatic. So, I thought that I can do it. But the rhythm and the body moving are original. Therefore Salsa must be more difficult than I thought.

Salsa seems to have many variations. Some performances were influenced by Hip-hop, Cheer dance, musical, Japanese traditional dance, and so on. I am not familier with a dance, but I thought that some dances were experimental.
This festival was supported by Cuba embassy. And a Cuban dancer showed us his dancing. To be honest, I did't think that his dance was Salsa. It was like a pantomime. But Cuba is an origine of Salsa ,and a developed Salsa country. Consequently his dance is the most progressive Salsa.
Near the dance floor, we could buy a real Cuban cigar. It is legal. No problem. But I heard that it is illegal in US. It is lucky for Japanese to have no political problem with Cuba.

I didn't dance with the dancers and other audience. But it was very enjoyable for me to watch their dance, with drinking whisky. Alcohol was dancing in my blood with an original rhythm.
Next morning, I got a body pain when I waked up after long, long sleep.

No comments: