Friday, July 29, 2005

VS Genome

Now the most rapidly develping and strongly influential study is Genomics.
By chance, one of my customer studies it, so I sells a lot of books about it.
Therefore I am very interested in Genome, DNA and so on. It is fun to know the process of solving the secret of life. And now many companies use the knowledge for medicine, food, agriculture, etc. This is why I think the knowledge is very useful.

I went to a small meeting for Genomics recently. An University professor talked about his study. It was too difficult for me, so I can't understand it, but I could enjoy it.
One of his students found an important function of a gene. It is related to some rheumatic diseases very well. Thus we can make a new medicine by it.
Many people is suffering from the illness related to the gene. Therefore if he can use the study for business, he must get a lot of money. But the student doesn't study fot business but for an academic interest. This is why he have to write about his study openly in a jounal. Once his study is open and known by others, everybody can use it. So he will not be able to get money. But of course he will be respected in a science world. If I were him, I would think it is a dilemma to choose business or academism.

In addition, I listened to a consultant for bio-venture companies in the meeting. She is supporting many young companies. Now Japanese government encourages people to start a venture business. We can make a new company by 1 yen. Now it is very easy for us to be a company president. But actually it is difficult that venture companies survive in a competitive market. They have a high-risk, but can't always have a high-return, usually a low-return or no-return. So their job is very risky.

I don't know the reason, but when I go to the customer, I think the women to study biology looks beautiful. This is my very private impression. So, I wouldn't say it in general.
Maybe, maybe, maybe, they are using biotechnology. I safely add "Maybe" again.

3 comments:

Lance said...

And another maybe just in case.

You have some very interesting customers. I'm surprised that you take such an interest in some of your customers interests. Is it a way to sell more books, or is it a true curiousity?

For me I don't like Genomics. I realize that there are so many benefits that can come from it, but I'm also terrified with what people can do with this knowledge. I have to solid reason for this just a gut feeling. Makes me nervouse to think that people can make things that will enhance or negatively effect my genes. Maybe, maybe, maybe I'm just a chicken.

Mike said...

Science of Gene Technology is greatest human adventure. We can explore #1 human question..."To be or not to be." If we create human and make human world are we human? If I can make ME then who am I? I think gene techonology will make us find answer to such difficult question. Then we can understand true human nature. wow.

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

My interest in this world is enhanced by many interesting people. And also everytime I am searching for interesting people. So, I can't get tired of this world.

Basically I agree with Gene technology and Clone technology. But I don't agree with Human Clone.

Also I am afraid of the negative effect of science, so I am a chicken too.
But we don't know what is negative. What we think is negative can be positive. In short, we don't have an enough knowledge. If so, we had better encourage scientists to get an enough knowledge and give it to us.

However I don't want Human Clone. Because I think we souldn't lose each originality. We all like an original character, an original personality, an original blog, an original comment and an original idea. But Copy is boring.

"Who am I?" is a difficult question.
Only one valid answer , I think, is "I don't know. But I am certainly not you."
But I can't say it to my copy. This is a problem!