Saturday, April 29, 2006

VS Golden Week

Japan starts Golden week, continual many holidays. It is not just a week. Nine or ten holidays have the people who work for a labour-friendly company or study in a heart-warming school. But, in my case, I can have only five continual holidays. Maybe my company is a bad one.
During this year's Golden week, a lot of Japanese will go abroad. I heard that the number of the people going to foreign countries are more this year than last year. It may symbolize the recovery of Japanese economy. Because the flight tickets are very expensive in this week.
As usual, I will spend my holidays in Kyoto, my hometown. It's the easiest plan.

I realised recently that I have bought books constantly but I don't read them almost at all! So, I will try to finish reading some of them during my holidays. I talked with a librarian who is my customer days ago. She told me that we have no time to read a long book. Actually I can finish reading a short and easy book, but long books have been unfinished for a long time.

My first target to finish is "Elegy for Iris" by John Bayley. I bought this book a few years ago, started to read it soon and gave up soon. It's the stroy about a novelist, Iris Murdoch, written by her husband. She was a great novelist young, but became Alzheimer old.
Although I am interested in the theme of the story, I am not good at the writing style of this kind of "love story". That's why it is taugh work for me to continue to read this book. But fortunately I read 90% of the story. Now it is in a climax. She becomes Alzheimer utterly at last! The goal is close!

I notice that I am satisfied with the saddest point in this book. Human feeling is complex even if it's mine.

No comments: