Tuesday, April 04, 2006

VS Shouwa

In April, new fiscal year starts for company, and new educational year stars for school. Today, my comapny had a celemony for freshmen and freshwomen. They starts a new social life.
I works in sales division. This was the division mainly for men before. No women wanted to work here. Because women wanted to work in a bookstore, and liked to be surrounded by many books. And, men thought it was natural for women to work in a bookstore, and not natural to go out to many customers. But, now it is opposite. Freshwomen working in sales division are more than men. I heard form the person in my company's human resource division that the female applier for my company is more aggressive to get a carrer. That's why my company thinks women are more fitted to a sales person.

It is 18th "Heisei" year. "Heisei" is a name of era of the present Japanese emperor. Japan has an unique year-counting system. When an emperopr replaced an previous emperor, we name the year a new eara name. Before "Heisei", the year name was "Shouwa". I was born in "Shouwa".
There is no "Heisei"-born people in my company now, but they will come soon. Maybe, it is a little shocking for many people including me. For "Shouwa" people, the image of "Heisei" is very new. There is a genareation valley in our brain. That's why we can possibly be shocked to see the generation in my office, of course a little.

Now, 30's "Shouwa" is a boom. One reason is that a Japanese movie describing 30's "Shouwa" became popular last year. It was the period after about five years of the end of the war. It was my parent's generation's periods. Japan was poor, but recovering then.
My company's visual works division made a new DVD, "Japan in 30's Shouwa: Life of Family".
I watched it. It was very funny.
The DVD is a collection of a kind of non-fiction movies. A work discribes a husband on a wife in a family. In the work, there is no conversation between the husband and the wife. They support together, but no communication. Their kids were unconfortable in the situation, but can't complain it.
In a dinner time, nobody talk in the family, and they focus on eating. Only the father drinks sake alone. Everbody looks sad. However, they accept the condition.
When I thought what would happen after that, the movie finished suddenly.
Maybe for all people, this movie is strange. I think so too. But I can understand it. This was a typical old Japanese family. Father was strong but lonely in a home. Mother just obeyed her husband. Kids couldn't complain anything to parents. Such a condition is unusual now, and not supported by anybody. But now for many people, the old life style is a nostalgic one.
The DVD seems to be sold very much after it was introduced in a newspaper. It is an interesting phenomina in Japan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.