Wednesday, June 13, 2007

VS Science Fiction

At the end of this August, the world-wide biggest Science Fiction convention, Worldcon, is going to be held in Yokohama.
This convention has a long history in SF fan's community. The first one was held in New York in 1939. This year's one is 65th.
In the history, all conventions had been held in USA or Europe. This summer's one in Yokohama is the first time in Japan, and in Asia. Some Japanese SF lovers had invited the convention to Japan for a long time, and the dream will become true. That's why, it will be a very memorial one. Japanese SF fans must be excited in this summer.

My company is planning to have a booth in the convention, cooporating with some publishers. Maybe, we will try to introduce many Japanese SF works (for example, novels, mangas, movies and so on.) to foreigners coming to join the convention. I am looking forward to it.
Japanese SF is not famous in the world because of the language barrier, but I think the quality is not low. So, I think it is a meaningful job to join the convention, and to display great works of Japanese SF for the people who don't know them.

From my junior high school days to my high school days, I loved to read SF novels very much.
SF is a wide category. Some think Fantasy like Harry Potter series is SF. Some think Space Opera like Star Wars is SF. For me, Hard SF was real SF. It was like a science book. The detail of the description in such a book is very realistic, but not real in fact. Star Treck series on TV might be a good example to explain my preference. The logic or discription of space travel in the work was of course a lie, but looked realistic. Great SF has a great lie, and we know it must be a lie, but we can believe it might be true. Or, we are willing to be cheated. What the truth is isn't a problem. The problem is what we can think is the truth. I learned the important philosophy of our life from SF.

Many novelists, movie producers and artists will join the convention. So, it is cultural and academic to some extent. But, I am guessing the convention will be like Halloween party. SF fans must like to wear very maniac costumes. I think thier mentality is similar to manga or animation freaks. So, many people will come to the convention in strange wears. I have to find a cool costume for the party.
The costume of Super Justice in "Dai Nipponjin" might be a good idea. (What's Super Justice? To know it, please watch the starange movie. It's unfortune it has no English subtitle, though...)

No comments: