Sunday, June 24, 2007

VS Manifests

Now many Japanese politicians are busy to preare for the coming election for the House of Councilors in July. We can find easily the politicians making a speech on the street recently. My friend reported me that he saw an ex-prime minister eating ramen in an local city ramen restaurant. I think he comes to the city to make a speech for the election.

I am often checking the manifests of each political parties on a newpaper or the parties' home page. It is interesting for me to read their future vision of our society. As you can easily understand, thier vision is made beautiful. We wouldn't trust it at all, though. But, anyway, thier vision must influence on our society more or less. So, we should know them fully.

When recently reading the biggest two parties in Japan, LDP and DP, I thought, to be honest, our future vision is very poor. Certainly they are talking about many issues Japanese are interested in. For example, the pension problem is a big issue. Now Japanese pension system have to be designed totally again, due to the bad management by the government. Some people have the risk to lose their pension in the future.
Event though I know the pension problem is important for our life, I am not interested in it so much.

The problem of the people kidnapped by North Korea seems to be a big issue in Japan. To solve this issue is treated as the important issue for our future especially in LDP's manifesto. But, I can't have, unfortunately, the same sympathy with the issue.

What am I unsatisfied with?
For me, their manifestos look very domestic. They are looking only at the issues the voter are interseted in. It is okey to get their vote, but I think Japanese future vision at this moment should be more international.
As I wrote it in this blog before, Japan should have their own immigrant policy. Even though Japanse government is thinking that Free Trade Agreement is an important economic policy, they don't think the physical moving of foreigners is the key of the success of the policy.
It is very surprising for me that there is not the word "foreinger" in their manifests. The existence of foreign people seems to be out of our future.

Now the number of foreirners coming to Japan for sightseeing is growing. Last year the number was the biggest. The percentage of international marriage in Japan is also growing. Now 5% of all marriages in Japan is the combination of Japanese and foreigner. So, I can't understand why Japanese big political parties don't have general policy for foreigners.
At the end of July, can I vote for anyone? I am not sure now.

No comments: