Sunday, June 03, 2007

VS Dai Nipponjin

Caution! The writing below is related to a new movie now on screen. If you will go to watch it, please read this blog after that. I don't want to give you any bias for the movie.

* * * * * * *

I went to watch the new movie, Dai Nipponjin (Big Japanese), directed by Hitoshi Matsumoto, Japanese famous comedian. This work is his first movie. I was looking forward to it.
This movie didn't give us the advertisement. So, we couldn't get any information about it until it comes to the screen. Thus, our expectation became big.

It's difficult to say the genre of this work, but it is a kind of Hero movie. The image of Hero in this movie is very diffrent from our typical image, though.
This movie is filled with the Hitoshi Matsumoto's worship or respect for Hero character. It might be close to Taratino's maniac perspective. But, the expression style is utterly diffrent. Hitoshi Matsumoto's backborn is not movie but TV comedy. He prefers very cheap expressin very much.
So, watching this movie in a theater, everybody must think they are in front of television in their house.

The best part of this movie is conversation. The nuance of the conversation is great. To understand it, we have to master Japanese language. Fortunately I've already mastered it, so I could enjoy the conversation in this movie very mush. Some parts are very abstract and summarized too much. Even Japanese can't explain the exact meaning, but can laugh at it. Language is very interesting.

Like all jokes in the world, we have to have cultural resources to understand many laughing points in this movie. A lot of old Japanese comedy jokes are inserted into this movie. Many jokes look to have a special meanings in this movie, but they don't have it at all. But, we naturally think they mean something special. The tactics of Hitoshi Matsumoto is very magical.

But, to be honest, I think this movie is incomplete. Its basic idea is very good and interesting. But, the story is not organized well enough. I think this movie can be shorter. If it is more compact, it could be a greater work. When I finished watching it, the reaction of other audiences were disapointment. The lady next to me said "I'm sleepy."
I was not sleepy, but I could understand her feeling.

However, this movie is certainly very challanging. It has a great impact on the method of expression in movies. I think the blood of Japanese comedy was mixed with the world movie, in this work. So, I am looking forward to watching a second work by Hitoshi Matsumoto soon.

No comments: