Friday, February 03, 2006

VS Calligraphy

When I was a child, I learned Calligraphy a little, just a day. It was too boring for me. I gave up learning it soon. I couldn't understand the interesting point of just writing letters. Actually, when I was an elementary school student, I used a pencil and a notebook, so I wrote something very much in a class. No more writing was my feeling. So, I couldn't have an interest in Calligraphy then. But, recently I don't use a pen or a pencil. I don't write with them so much. I use a computer and put keys to write something.

I become interested in hand-writing or Calligraphy recently. Maybe it is a reaction of using computer too much for writing. But, anyway, I become to like a beautiful hand-writing. So, I went to Tokyo national Museum, to watch Calligraphy exhibition.

I went to the museum before noon on Sunday. The exhibition shows us a lot of Chinese and Japanese Calligraphy. It was very interesting to compare Chinese writing style and Japanese. Both countries use Kanji character. But, Japanese simplified some of Kanji to make their own character; Hiragana. It looks very soft. So, Japanese Calligraphy looks softer than Chinese.
We can know the historical change of writing in the exhibition. I din't think there are many veriations of writing letters before watching the exhibition. But, Each written letters have an unique character.

To understand Calligraphy, we can't forget the name of Wang Xizhi.
He lived in 7c or 8c. He was a big name in Calligraphy, like Pere in soccer. He established the art of writing letters. Even now, many people study Calligraphy by watching his works.
In the exhibition, a lot of his works were exhibited.
One of my purpose of coming to the museum was to watch them, but too many people were there!
I didn't think so many people come there.
Before noon on Sunday! Why don't they sleep until noon? Which is better, just watching letters written by somebody or sleeping in a comfortable bed till noon? The answer is obvious.
But, many people came to the museum and they stopped in front of the works of Wang Xizhi for a long time. I pushed softly the people in front of me. I jumped among a lot of people. However, I couldn't watch his works enough. Too bad!

This exhibition will move from Tokyo to Shanghai this spring. I heard that the people in Shanghai are interested in these great works too.

No comments: