Monday, February 13, 2006

VS Computing Reviews

I had an business meeting with an American publisher, in Tokyo.
I always talk with foreign friends in English, but I don't have a business conversation in English so much. Thus, the meeting was very taugh for me.
"The pricing policy of this commodity should be...."
"This general agreement means....."
"I think the most useful advertisement is...."

Too serious.
It was very difficult for me to catch up with these themes in English!
Actually, I lost the points we discuss many times. I needed the help of translater in fact.

In addition, the publication was also the difficult one.
It was a journal for computer science. The title is Computing Reviews.
I heard the journal is very popular in America and some Asian countries.
(Of course, the readers are only scientists and engineers.)
The publisher came to Japan, to make the journal popular in Japan.

To be honest, it is a difficult thing to sell English computer books in Japan.
Because, a lot of Japanese computer books are published now. And, English books are translated into Japanese soon. So, nobody have to read difficult English computer books here.

However, the publisher was a nice guy. I heve to help his business.
After the meeting, we went for a drink.
His visit of Tokyo this time was second times, but he didn't know about Japan at all. So, I took him to a typical Japanese Izakaya, and ordered many foods unfamilier for him. Raw horse meat, Milt, Angler's liver and so on. And, of course, I ordered Japanese Sake a lot, for him, and for me. He seemed to be happier and happier during drinking.

His wife is Greek. I asked him why Greek? He said,"Greek is a cosmopolitan." I see, I see. Also is Turkey. They are the place where West and East meets. All romantist love Greek and Turkey. I thought our preference was very similar. My responsibility of helping him bacame bigger.

I think he had an appointment with a customer next early morning. But, we drunk a lot at the night.
I am not sure that he could get up the day. If he prefered sleepning more to getting up then, he could be a real romantist.

No comments: