Saturday, August 12, 2006

VS Sydney(1)

I spent my 10 days holiday in Australia. It was my first visit of Australia, and English-speaking country in my life. Before flying to the country, I was very excited. To be relaxed, I continued to drink beer in Narita airport. It was a great taste.

Now Japan is in summer, but Australia is in winter. After 9 hours' flight, the season changed dynamicaly. I was in T-shirt. It was very cold. But, the temparature was about 10 degrees. So, for Japanese, it was like early spring. Australia is a basicaly warm country.

On the first day I walked around the center of Sydney city, and went to Manly to see my friend, Peter.
Sydney is a business city, a commercial city, a cultural city and a multi-cultural city. This kind of city isn't in Japan. If I have to find out a simillar type city in Japan, Yokohama may be closer. But, Sydney is very original.

My company, Kinokuniya, has a book store in Sydney. So, I went to check it first. It was a very big store, and I heard it was the biggest book store in Australia. I met a friend working there, and had a coffee in the store cafe. As I wrote above, Sydney is multi-cultural. Thus, the book store there is also multi-cultural. There are varieties of books there; English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and other languages' books. It's very interesting for working place.

In this trip, I drunk a lot of cups of coffee.
Actually there are many coffee shops in Sydney. Everybody drink a coffee outside. Outside drinking and eating is a very important culture there. It's very relaxing and makes our feelings open. Especially near the beach, it is very good to drink a coffee listening to the sound of the wave.

Food was also great.
I ate very delicious pizzas near Dee Why beach. Lamb meet pizza was so great. I enjoyed it drinking beautiful red wine.
In this trip, I enjoyed a lot of foods I can't eat in Japan.
Kangaroo meat was one of them.
It was very light, not oily, and easy to eat. I ate it when I went ot Hunter Valley, the most famous place for wine making. The meat was fitted to red wine very much.

If you like wine and have the chanece to go to Australia, Hanter Valley is the place you shouldn't miss the chance to visit.

(To be continued)

No comments: