Saturday, November 25, 2006

VS Coup d'etat

Two months ago, a coup d'etat happened in Thailand. The country's army made it to beat the government. The president escaped to a foreign country. Now, a new government is established, and most of Thai people seem to support it.
But, because the government change was certainly undemocratic, other countries blamed for the coup d'etat soon. Even if the previous president was a bad person, a coup d'etat can't be agreed with from the view point of democracy.
I can understand the idea to some extent. Basically, politics shouldn't be infulenced or changed by army. It's right.

Recently, by chance, I had the oppotunity to talk with a co-worker working in Thailand now. I asked him about the social situation in Thailand.
I had thought it was very dangerous especially during the days of the coup d'eter. But he said very honestly, maybe too honestly, that the social situation was good at that time because Thai people can't concentrate on serious things for a long time, even if it's a coup d'eter and revolution.
Mmmmm, really?
If it was truely so, it's surprising and disapointing.
For me, social change is like a festival. So, it have to be dynamic and energetic. As I wrote above, I can understand an undemocratic social change is not good. However, to be honest, I can sympathize with it easily. Because I know festival is important for our life.

Anyway, I knew form him that the coup d'etat in Thailand was very peaceful. He said," Thai people are Buddists, so they wouldn't kill people."
I think his understanding of Thai people and Buddist is too extreme, but he would get a point.

No comments: