Thursday, November 23, 2006

VS Dubai

Latest newspapers say that my company will open a new bookstore in Dubai next year. Of course, I knew it before the news.
But, I didn't know the scale.
The bookstore will have 500 thousands of books on the floor.
Although maybe most people can't image the amount, I know it's a crazy amount of books.
And I knew from the newspapers that the bookstore in Dubai may be the biggest one in the world.
Oil money will change into a huge number of books? If so, it's good, at least for book-salesmen.

Why does my company make a new store there?
I don't know the detail of the reason, but I heared that the government officials came to the head office of my company a few years ago and asked for a new store in Dubai.
Not only for my company but also for Japanese publishing business, it must be a challanging job. My company decided to make a now store there. Now my company is searching for new staffs to work there.
Unfortunately I am not in the branch for the new job now. So, I think I don't have a chance to go there for business. However, someday in the future, I want to try to live in Arabic countries. It must be fun.

In democratic countries, publishing business can make a success. So, in Dubai, my company can succeed.
But in some other countries, still now, it's difficult to do a publishing business and book-sales. Because some people see free publishing dangerous. They regulate the business a lot. So we have to avoid the business in undemocratic countries.
But, on the other hand, I think it is also true that publishing make the country more democratic. That's why, in a difficult business situation in such a country, doing a publishing business must be challanging and fun.
Ok, next target should be North Korea. I think it's the most challanging.

No comments: