Saturday, November 04, 2006

VS Sales Job

Very nervous feeling in my mind had continued in the last month, because of a lot of taugh businesses. But now, all my struggles are almost coming to the end with successful results. I am very relaxed at this point.
I beat my business competitors. I negotiated successfully with my customers. I convinced my boss of my decision. From the successful results, now I think I am a natural-born salesman.

Not so long time before, sales job was regarded as a men's job in Japanese companies. However, recently, in my company, the number of sales-women are increasing rapidly. Why? Because, a lot of new famale staffs in my company hope to work for a sales division. My company's human management policy is very simple. The person who wants to do the job is the best person who should do the job. So, a lot of ladies are working as saleswomen now. On the other hand, a lot of men don't hope for the job. Why? Mmm, I don't know.
I heard that more new female workers will come to my division next year.

This month, a lot of universities in Japan are going to have their students' festival. I like them. They remind me of my first experience of sales job.
When I was a student, I sold frankfurt in my university's festival. I searched for a good meat shop, negotiated with the butcher for the meat price, calculated the cost-benefit balance, decided how many to buy and how much to sell, and even cook them by myself.
Maybe my management and cooking were terrible at that time. The commodities produced by me were often too salty, and sometimes still cold. Frozen-frankfurt would have been original, but immatured, literally. When a customer complained of a cold frankfurt to me, I had nothing but to give him an additional cold one free.
Even though the management of the frankfurt shop was crazy, fortunately I could get a little bit of revenue. It was a funny experience.
That's why I am looking forward to going to some university festivals in this season. I might see a funny business by students.

For book-sales, I don't have to cook books. It's an easier job. I don't know the reason why guys don't want the job.

2 comments:

KOJI OISHI said...

Hi Akio, How have you been? Obviously, a rate of female sales reps are growing recently. In my company, six of eight sales reps are female. They're all indeed hot-shots. But, I don't really think I can get along well with them.

AKIO KOBAYASHI said...

My general impression is that Japanese men became less brave. I don't know why, but it's unfortunate.